On May 17th and 18th, 2016, join community and economic development professionals, lenders, public officials, developers, planners, and others passionate about building and sustaining healthy, vibrant, and sustainable communities for the Sixth Annual Community Development Summit.
This year’s theme is The Power of PLACE. Building off last year’s theme, this year, sessions and workshops will move beyond place making, to place holding, establishing, and growing. We will explore the intersection of peoples and places and the critical, iterative role and notion of POWER within those frames.
PLACE. It has the power to unlock or limit opportunity – economic, social, health, education. We cannot deny its centrality in life outcomes – for many, where one lives largely determines life trajectory. We must also acknowledge the agency of people to define, make, and grow place. For without people, place loses meaning. How do we empower people with the skills, resources, and capacity to transition places into equitable, healthy, and desirable communities?
The Summit will feature:
- Internationally renowned, dynamic keynote speakers: Charles Montgomery and Ed McMahon.
- Workshops and panels on topics built around the policies, programs, and practices that recognize and interact with non/traditional power structures, the people which impact and are impacted by those structures, and the role of place for both.
- Built-in networking time to reconnect with friends and colleagues and meet innovative practitioners in the field from across the country, including a reception featuring hors d’oeuvres and drinks
- Mobile workshops highlighting revitalization efforts throughout Greater Pittsburgh
- An annual member meeting and awards ceremony honoring community leaders
The Community Development Summit is brought to you by PCRG in collaboration with the Urban Land Institute – Pittsburgh District Council.
Dates to Remember:
April 29, 2016
- Early Bird Registration Ends
- Last Day for Refunds
May 9, 2016 at Noon
- Registration Cut-off
May 17 & 18, 2016
- Annual Community Development Summit