CommUNITY: The Power of People in Action:
Pittsburgh’s re-emergence as a region of opportunity brings possibilities unimaginable a couple years ago. It has, however, also passed over many communities and pushed still others even further behind. Community development may have been born out of stemming decline, but its core mission remains the same in this new reality. We break down barriers – physical, political, or organizational – so that marginalized places and people may thrive and invest within themselves. A place’s legacy– good or bad – can be the foundation upon which we organize ourselves, facilitate public and private investment, and create opportunities that not just attraact the outside, but lift up from within. Growth and innovation’s unintended consequences challenge our normal approaches, and new models must be explored. They must be implementable, however. We have heard that loud and clear: today’s practitioners across the community development spectrum need real, actionable, holistic solutions to persistent problems that make the not-so-usual suspects part of our team.
CommUNITY: The Power of People in Action examines how people take concepts, build support, and put them into action. Community development leaders across the spectrum want to know how to smartly effect change, in every area that impacts our communities and their people. We seek lasting change that pays dividends to residents, entrepreneurs, responsible developers and investors. We want to break the cycle of triage management and create true wealth and opportunity. At the 2017 Community Development Summit, we will lift up models that have successfully achieved these goals.
Watch this page for updates on the 2017 Community Development Summit!
The Summit will feature:
- Internationally renowned, dynamic keynote speakers: TBA
- Workshops and panels on topics built around the policies, programs, and practices that recognize and interact with non/traditional power structures, the people which impact and are impacted by those structures, and the role of place for both. CALL FOR PROPOSALS NOW OPEN!
- Built-in networking time to reconnect with friends and colleagues and meet innovative practitioners in the field from across the country, including a reception featuring hors d’oeuvres and drinks.
- Mobile workshops highlighting revitalization efforts throughout Greater Pittsburgh.
- An annual member meeting and awards ceremony honoring community leaders.
The Community Development Summit is brought to you by PCRG in collaboration with the Urban Land Institute – Pittsburgh District Council.
Dates to Remember:
April 14, 2017
- Award Nomination Deadline
May 24 & 25, 2017
- Seventh Annual Community Development Summit