1. Organization: Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh
2. Founding Date: 1993
3. Executive Director: Steve Hellner-Burris
4. Current Staff Size: 6 full-time; 4 part-time; 4 AmeriCorps members
5. What geographic area do you serve? Allegheny County
6. What is your mission statement? Bringing volunteers and communities together to improve the homes and lives of homeowners in need. We repair homes, improve lives and stabilize communities.
7. What is one project or program that you are really excited about? Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh’ is really excited about our Work Experience Program in Hazelwood. This program has employed 14 Hazelwood residents to complete home repairs, learn new skills, and serve their community. We are continuing this program in 2015 and are looking for new applicants.
8. What are some of your organization’s recent accomplishments? Over last five years, Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh has tripled the number of homeowners we are able to serve. We have gone from completing 50 whole house projects to a goal of over 150 houses this year. Through the commitment of many area businesses and foundations, such as BNY Mellon, UPMC Health Plan, and the Heinz Endowments, we have been able to expand the number of houses we can do by increasing our capacity through hiring more staff, creating new programs, and partnering with community based organizations.
9. Interesting fact (about the organization, leadership, history, area you serve, etc): The need for RTP’s services in our county is very high. According to 2013 Census data, 17.1 % of the population of Allegheny County is 65 or older, this is a greater percentage than every state but Florida. According to the 2012 US
Census Community Survey, more than 38 % of houses in the Pittsburgh region were built before 1950. That ranks us 8th in the US and 2nd in Pennsylvania.
10. Upcoming event(s): Rebuilding Together Pittsburgh’s big annual volunteer event is coming up on April 25. We will have volunteer teams in about 20 houses around the county serving low-income homeowners.
Name of contact person for further inquiries: Hillary Bundy
Address: 631 Iron City Dr. Pittsburgh, PA 15205